What size amp do you need for gigging?

What size amp do you need for gigging?

For most gigs and live performances in venues that hold around 100 people, you should have either a 20W tube amp, or a 40W solid state amp if you’re playing without a band. If you’re playing with a drummer, you’ll likely need a 100W solid state amp, or a 50W valve amp.

Are 15 watt valve amps gigging?

Small 15 and 20-watt guitars amps can be used for playing gigs in certain situations. Whether they are the best choice for you depends on what kind of band you are in, how your band manages sound reinforcement, and how much effort you are willing to put into helping your little amp get the job done.

How loud is a 5 watt valve amp?

It would be as loud as a 10-15 watt SS amp which is pretty loud. A little too loud for bedroom practice but not quite loud enough for jamming.

Can you gig with a 5w amp?

A 5-watt combo with a typical 1 x 12 speaker cannot achieve volumes to play alongside a drummer for rehearsals or gigs without any PA support. As they are designed for optimal volume levels for home and bedroom practice.

Are valve amps louder than solid state?

A valve amp will be naturally louder than its solid-state counterpart due to compression. Solid state amps may will require twice as many watts to be perceived on the same level.

Can you gig with a 25 watt amp?

Yes, a 25 watt tube amp is loud enough to play with all but the loudest drummers, assuming you don’t need crystal cleans. If you do, look for 50 watts at least. Solid state, you’re pushing it. 50 would be my target.

Can you gig with a 10 watt tube amp?

Required Watts for Gigging If the venue will be miking the onstage amps to a mixing desk then even better! 15-watt or 10 watts would be enough volume to play alongside a drummer with a good amount of headroom for loud clean tones without excessive break-up.

How many watts do you need for a small gig?

That being said, you don’t need anything more than about 60-75 watts to play most small gigs, especially with a solid state amp, like the ones you mentioned.